Re: setting up bind

joy wrote:

> The computers on my lan have hostnames like xxx.pcm.com and this
> nameserver is an internal one to
> serve these machines.
> so i wrote a zone for "pcm.com" and made my server the master for the zone.
> the records look somthing like this:
> xxx.pcm.com   IN   A   192.xx.xx.xx  (is this right?)

No. Fully-qualified domains must end in a dot, otherwise they will be
treated as relative to the root of the zone. E.g. if the above line
occured in a zone file for pcm.com, it would correspond to
xxx.pcm.com.pcm.com.

Usually, you use relative names, so the line should look like:

	xxx   IN   A   192.xx.xx.xx

> to test it ,I ran dig  for one of the hostnames and it appears that
> there is already a master for pcm.com somewhere else
> which  (obviously) does not have a record for my machine.
> To make my machine not query other nameservers, I made my nameserver the
> only one in resolv.conf.
> and  made it a slave for queries on zone "com"  with the main NS outside
> as the master.
> however this causes dig to give a timed out error.
>
> Am I missing something here?

Probably.

> What I feel is that dig first tries to resolve  "."  (root)zone and is
> not able to because my NS does not hold any info on it.
> Am I right in thinking so?

Probably.

If named has been configured to allow recursive queries, it should
attempt to forward queries for other domains (ones which don't have an
entry in named.conf) to other DNS servers.

However, such queries (or, more likely, the replies) may be blocked if
your server is behind a firewall. In that situation, you would need to
forward such queries to a DNS server from which you can receive
replies (e.g. the one which was previously listed in resolv.conf).

> My  NS had  a different hostname before and  dig  could return a valid
> ip.However, my employer insists
> that the  hostnames end with pcm.com (for  some administrtive reasons )

Are these names supposed to be resolvable from outside of the LAN?

If so, the only solution is to update the authoritative nameserver
(the one to which the ".com" domain has delegated authority over the
"pcm.com" domain) with the additional hosts.

If not, you need to configure the local nameserver(s) (the one(s) to
which hosts on your LAN send DNS queries) to answer queries for the
pcm.com zone. These nameservers will already be configured to answer
general DNS queries.

However:

1. If you aren't running your own local nameserver(s) (e.g. you're
just pointing the hosts at your ISP's DNS servers), you will have to
do so; your ISP certainly isn't going to add the pcm.com zone to their
recursive nameservers. You should be doing this anyhow.

2. The local pcm.com zone file will need to include any public DNS
records for that zone (e.g. www.pcm.com) as well as any local ones
(e.g. xxx.pcm.com).

> Do I need to to write the  PTR records for every A  record I add?

Probably not.

Most programs don't care whether PTR records exist or if they are
accurate; i.e. they either don't bother to look them up, or if they do
look them up, don't care whether the query succeeds.

The main exception is for access control. If you are accessing a
service which is restricted to specific hosts, access may be denied if
the PTR records can't be found or if they don't contain the expected
values.

--
Glynn Clements <glynn.clements@xxxxxxxxxx>
-