setting up bind

Hi everyone,

Sorry for the long post , but I don't think I could've done it in less.....
I'm trying to setup a name server using bind 9 and have run into a peculiar problem:

The computers on my lan have hostnames like xxx.pcm.com and this nameserver is an internal one to
serve these machines.
so i wrote a zone for "pcm.com" and made my server the master for the zone.
the records look somthing like this:
xxx.pcm.com IN A 192.xx.xx.xx (is this right?)

to test it ,I ran dig for one of the hostnames and it appears that there is already a master for pcm.com somewhere else
which (obviously) does not have a record for my machine.
To make my machine not query other nameservers, I made my nameserver the only one in resolv.conf.
and made it a slave for queries on zone "com" with the main NS outside as the master.
however this causes dig to give a timed out error.

Am I missing something here?

What I feel is that dig first tries to resolve "." (root)zone and is not able to because my NS does not hold any info on it.
Am I right in thinking so?

My NS had a different hostname before and dig could return a valid ip.However, my employer insists
that the hostnames end with pcm.com (for some administrtive reasons )

So, my question is,
how do I make dig search for xxx.pcm.com on my NS before forwarding it to the outside?

Also,
Do I need to to write the  PTR records for every A  record I add?

Thanx (a lot ) in advance,
Joy.M.M
-