Re: a Maxtor story

You guys got me worried too. We have a 16-disk RAID 5 array, it's all
Maxtor 250G SATA drive (the company supply the array recommand the Maxtor,
since they have the lowerest failure time on ATA), and it's been working
good for 9 months now, and we do parity-regenaration each months, found
one or two bad blocks which had been remapped after. I will see how this
thing goes.

Thanks for the inputs!
Chen

On Sat, 5 Jun 2004, Ben Potter wrote:

> For me, the average failure rate was around 5 months - however I have 2
> maxtors at home (1 80Gb and 1 60Gb - need to check model) that have been
> running for a couple of years without a single glitch.
>
> It looks (to my highly inexperienced eye) as if maxtor have had a faulty
> batch.
>
> I wouldn't worry about it, unless you start to notice a considerable
> slowdown
>
> Alternatively, try running the smart daemon tools, on checking all of
> mine showed up with a lot of warnings - but my bios hadn't reported them
> (probably my fault)
>
> I now periodically check all hard drives (48 of them) with the smart
> tools (roughly once a month) - it takes a bit of time - but it is better
> than one failing in the middle of the day and a user losing work (and
> screaming at me)
>
> Hope this helps
> Ben Potter
>

> DragonK wrote:
>

> > Hello,
> >
> > I have a Maxtor 6E040L0 40G and it's working perfectly. You guys are
> > getting me worried...what's the medium time until failure? I have it
> > for  almost a year now and never had problems with it.
> >
> > On Sat, 05 Jun 2004 17:10:30 +0100, Ben Potter
> > <bpotter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >

> >> Unfortunately it is not just the 120Gb Maxtor hard drives - over a
> >> period of about 12 months I bought 22 Maxtor hard drives, of these
> >> 14  have now failed. Almost exactly the same problem as markus, In my
> >> case,  extreme slowdown - followed by sudden failure.
> >>
> >> The majority of these disks were the slimline models (never again!),
> >> but  there was at least one normal(?) sized hard drive. The capacity
> >> ranged  from 30 Gb to 120Gb
> >>
> >> Needless to say, after replacing the lot with IBM deskstars, I have
> >> not  had a single disk failure (to date) and will not be buying
> >> Maxtor disks  again.
> >>
> >> Thankfully, I also have a highly paranoid backup system - and did
> >> not  lose any data, and am now running the smart daemon tools on all
> >> the  critical machines.
> >>
> >> Just my 2 pence
> >> Ben Potter

> -
> : send the line "unsubscribe linux-admin" in

Yu Chen
Howard Hughes Medical Institute
Chemistry Building, Rm 182
University of Maryland at Baltimore County
1000 Hilltop Circle
Baltimore, MD 21250

phone: 	(410)455-6347 (primary)
	(410)455-2718 (secondary)