Re: a Maxtor story

For me, the average failure rate was around 5 months - however I have 2 maxtors at home (1 80Gb and 1 60Gb - need to check model) that have been running for a couple of years without a single glitch.

It looks (to my highly inexperienced eye) as if maxtor have had a faulty batch.

I wouldn't worry about it, unless you start to notice a considerable slowdown

Alternatively, try running the smart daemon tools, on checking all of mine showed up with a lot of warnings - but my bios hadn't reported them (probably my fault)

I now periodically check all hard drives (48 of them) with the smart tools (roughly once a month) - it takes a bit of time - but it is better than one failing in the middle of the day and a user losing work (and screaming at me)

Hope this helps
Ben Potter

DragonK wrote:

Hello,

I have a Maxtor 6E040L0 40G and it's working perfectly. You guys are getting me worried...what's the medium time until failure? I have it for almost a year now and never had problems with it.