Re: Linux aic7xxx driver doesn't see my tape drive

Matt Howard wrote:
Kevin J. Cummings wrote:

Can someone please explain why my Adaptec 2940U Ultra Wide SCSI
controller (AutoSCSI in the controller BIOS) shows me that my Archive
Python DAT tape drive is on Channel 0, id 3, but when I boot RedHat's
linux-2.4.20-28.9, the aic7xxx module only sees my disk drive on channel
0, id 6?  Yes, both devices are plugged into the narrow bus, and auto
termination is configured on the controller, and the devices are in the
same order as before (see below).

This used to work fine on my BusLogic BT-948 controller [which I had to
stop using on my new motherboard (because the ABIT AF7 motherboard won't
finish POST with the BusLogic BT-948 controller plugged into a PCI
slot.....)]

I don't know if the st driver actually requires this, but the standard is
for your first tape to be on ID 6.  I'm, in fact, using a 2940U with a
Python DAT on ID 6 with 2.4.25 on a PC next to me right now.

But that's where my disk drive is. B^) Besides. This setup worked just fine when the SCSI controller was a BusLogic BT-948.... That's what makes me think its an aic7xxx driver problem....

Since you're working with a tape drive, I'll take this chance to advertise
for bacula:  http://www.bacula.org
A free network backup solution. ;)

Other investigatory things you should look at are 'dmesg'
'cat /proc/scsi/scsi' and 'cat /proc/scsi/(modulename)/*'

The tape drive isn't found anyplace there.

Digging around in st.c and scsi_scan.c don't indicate anything strange, but,
hey, try out ID 6 anyway -- this is the first time I've looked at either of
those files!

I suppose I could swap the Tape and Disk drive IDs, when I get the chance to....

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome@xxxxxxx