Re: Linux aic7xxx driver doesn't see my tape drive

Kevin J. Cummings wrote:

> Can someone please explain why my Adaptec 2940U Ultra Wide SCSI
> controller (AutoSCSI in the controller BIOS) shows me that my Archive
> Python DAT tape drive is on Channel 0, id 3, but when I boot RedHat's
> linux-2.4.20-28.9, the aic7xxx module only sees my disk drive on channel
> 0, id 6?  Yes, both devices are plugged into the narrow bus, and auto
> termination is configured on the controller, and the devices are in the
> same order as before (see below).
>
> This used to work fine on my BusLogic BT-948 controller [which I had to
> stop using on my new motherboard (because the ABIT AF7 motherboard won't
> finish POST with the BusLogic BT-948 controller plugged into a PCI
> slot.....)]

I don't know if the st driver actually requires this, but the standard is
for your first tape to be on ID 6.  I'm, in fact, using a 2940U with a
Python DAT on ID 6 with 2.4.25 on a PC next to me right now.

Since you're working with a tape drive, I'll take this chance to advertise
for bacula:  http://www.bacula.org
A free network backup solution. ;)

Other investigatory things you should look at are 'dmesg'
'cat /proc/scsi/scsi' and 'cat /proc/scsi/(modulename)/*'

Digging around in st.c and scsi_scan.c don't indicate anything strange, but,
hey, try out ID 6 anyway -- this is the first time I've looked at either of
those files!

HTH
Matt Howard
--