From: Yu Chen <chen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 10:23:43 -0500 (EST)
To: Andrew Kelly <akelly@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
CC: "linux-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <linux-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Computer frozen with X running at 100%CPU time

Thanks Andy;

It first happened with one particular screensaver in Kdescreensaver
package. Then I uninstalled the KDE screen saver package and reboot
the
machine,altough I still have the Xscreensaver package installed, but
it
was not started at that time, and the frozen happens when somebody was
using the computer.

Chen

 On Mon, 29 Mar 2004, Andrew Kelly wrote:

> On Fri, 2004-03-26 at 22:49, Yu Chen wrote:
> > Hi, hope this is the right place to ask this:
> >
> > I got this strange problem.
> >
> > One of our computers keep frozen after being used for a while,
you still
> > can move the mouse, but can't click, can't switch console. But I
can login
> > remotelly and running programes. The 'top' shows application X is
running
> > all the time at 100%CPU time. Checked all the log files, found
nothing
> > strange or maybe I missed something. Really don't know where to
look. Any
> > suggestions are highly appreciated!
> >
> > Here the information about the system:
> > Dell precision workstation 620 with 512MB memory, 1 cpu
> > RedHat Linux 7.3
> > XFree86 Version 4.2.1
> > nVidia 256MB GeForce Fx5600
> >
> > Thanks!
> > Chen
>
> Hi Chen,
>
> Does this maybe happen in conjunction with a particular screensaver?
>
> Andy
>
> -
> : send the line "unsubscribe linux-
admin" in