automount vs mount

Hi to everyone,
I've got a classic NIS+NFS situation:  a NIS server which contains all
accounts and which exports the users' home thru NFS. When the user logs-in
from a client (I've about 40 clients) the home is mounted thru automount, so
that only that user's home is mounted.
Now, due to a confiuration problem on one of all clients, I was unable to run
automount, so that I mounted the whole home tree statically, of course thru
NFS.
This opens a doubt in my head: is automount always convenient? I mean, is
really so convenient to mount a single home instead of  a whole tree? I
believe that for a single user it is so, but imagine that more than one user
can access the same client at the same time (maybe thru ssh). In this case I
will have more mounts (with automount) while with the statical mount I will
have always one. What is the threshold beyond which automount is no more
convenient?
I'm asking this because I'm not really expert of automount internals, and I'm
trying to understand to better configure my machines.

Thanks,
Luca

--
Luca Ferrari,