Re: Slightly OT: Taking Unix/Linux class?

On Thu, Feb 05, 2004 at 01:12:13PM -0800, Eve Atley wrote:
=>
=> I'd like to get opinions on possibly taking a linux/unix course. We run a
=> Red Hat 9 linux server in a small business, and I come from a primarily
=> windows environment (though I do use a little Unix on Mac OS X). I was
=> debating taking a unix/linux course at a local community college. We also
=> own "Red Hat Linux Networking and System Administration", but obviously I
=> need the time to read this book. I don't have the luxury of playing with our
=> server to learn and get hands-on feel.

No course in the world, in my experience, is gonna replace playing around.
Playing Around[TM] is a highly and severly underestimated way of learning
(this stuff). Some classes/theory under the belt isn't gonna hurt though.

=> So based on this course description...is it worth it? How in-depth do
=> community college courses of this nature go? Is there another, perhaps
=> better way to go about learning what I need to know?

What is it you do need to know? Are you going to be adminestering this
system? Or do you just want to get some general knowledge?

--Jo

-