Re: Problem with Syslog

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003, Emiliano Castagnari wrote:

> El  [ Mon 17, Nov 03 - 11:19 ] , Linuxero Tux expreso:
> > spected. For example, in some of the log files there are only "--- MARK
> > ---" lines without any other information. Maybe the config file is setup
> > wrong or I need to do something else.

> Just adding the option "-m 0" will solve your problem (you 'll have to restart the
> service).

I would recommend leaving the MARK option on. Why? The point of MARK in
the logs files is to let you know that syslog is still running; should
syslog die or something else unusual happens and no information is in the
logs, you'll at least know about when syslog stopped working and hence
about when the data on the server disks was last synced. This can be very
important information in some cases, the cost of leaving the option on is
small in comparision.

$.02

Bill Carlson
--