Kernel panic and ACPI errors with recent update to 4.15.53 ( Ubuntu 18.04 LTS distro )

Hi folk,

I'm running a HP Z800 dual processor workstation which has just stopped
being able to boot properly due to a recent update. The machine has the
latest BIOS available from HP ( this was not changed by the update ). The
problem appears to relate to ACPI, and I've been referred here from a post
I made to StackExchange.

Attempting to boot the machine using any of the available 4.15 kernels (
4.15.43, 4.15.45, 4.15.47, 4.15.53 ) now gives the following ACPI errors :

---
ACPI Error: [CAPD] Namespace lookup failure, AE_ALREADY_EXISTS
(20170831/dsfield-212)
ACPI Error: Method parse/execution failed \_SB.PCIO._OSC, AE_ALREADY_EXISTS
(20170831/psparse-550)
---

I usually end up dumped into what I believe is an 'emergency shell'.

I have tried a large number of acpi related kernel switches, including
'acpi=ht' and 'acpi_serialize'. The only thing which appears to affect
behaviour is 'acpi=off'. This causes a kernel panic, in which case I am not
given an emergency shell. I don't know how to grab that info to post here
except for taking a screenshot, and not all the info is actually on the
screen.

So if anyone can suggest a way to further this investigation, I'd be very
grateful. What information would be useful to know, and are there any
particular experiments I should try, anyone else it would be useful to talk
to ?

Thanks,
Mark de Roussier