Re: [RFC/RFT PATCH 0/2] disable_hest quirk on HP m400 with bad UEFI firmwware

On 3 July 2018 at 21:47, Ian Campbell <ijc@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, 2018-07-03 at 18:39 +0100, Lorenzo Pieralisi wrote:
>> not
>> enable
>> feature
>> that's
>> >
>> > The quirk turns off a broken feature on the platform where it is
>> > broken, not everywhere, there's no "crippling" of the feature.
>> >
>> > Or are you suggesting that you have in mind a way to fix this which
>> > makes HEST work even on m400 and renders the quirk unnecessary?
>>
>> HEST error reporting is broken on those platforms and it is one
>> of the main features we expect from FW in ACPI systems, that
>> glossing over the legacy nature of m400 platforms.
>>
>> What I do not understand, and Ard pointed that out already, is why we
>> should add a DMI quirk to the mainline kernel (that he tried/is trying
>> very hard to prevent since ACPI for ARM64 was merged) to enable a legacy
>> platform with missing/broken (HEST) key FW functionality in a
>> distribution.
>>
>> If we answer that question we can merge this series but I see no
>> compelling reason for the time being.
>
> These systems still exist in the real world and enabling HEST in the
> (generic) kernel configuration causes a regression on those systems.
>
> The advice from upstream Linux maintainers for many years has been for
> distros to remain as close as possible to upstream and to take stable
> updates early and often. Telling distros to carry patches because a
> platform is no longer produced seems to me to be completely counter to
> that.
>
> Is it the policy now that users of a platform should no longer upgrade
> their kernels once the manufacturer has decided the platform is EOL, or
> shortly after when the kernel decides it is no longer worth supporting?

It is entirely reasonable for a legacy platform to remain on a stable
kernel branch, and as Linaro LEG, we own ~25% of all the M400's
currently in circulation, and we have no desire to run bleeding edge
kernels on them.

It is also entirely reasonable for a legacy platform to require
minimally invasive surgery (e.g., add a kernel command line param to
/etc/default/grub) when moving to a kernel branch that is 5 years
newer than the platform in question.

Please don't put it like you have no other option than to stick with
an outdated bug ridden Linux version because we are refusing to take
your quirk.

Also, 'what x86 does' is not gospel. We are in the fortunate position
to be able to learn from x86, and at the same time, we are maintaining
an architecture, not what amounts to a single platform (i.e.,
virtually all x86s are essentially PCs). So yes, we will most likely
need quirks in the mainline kernel to work around silicon for firmware
issues, but we can try to do a better job than x86 simply we have the
luxury of hindsight, and quirking trivial things left and right is one
of the things we can surely try to avoid.