Re: [RFC/RFT PATCH 0/2] disable_hest quirk on HP m400 with bad UEFI firmwware

On Tue, Jul 03, 2018 at 08:47:15PM +0100, Ian Campbell wrote:
> On Tue, 2018-07-03 at 18:39 +0100, Lorenzo Pieralisi wrote:
> > not
> > enable
> > feature
> > that's
> > >
> > > The quirk turns off a broken feature on the platform where it is
> > > broken, not everywhere, there's no "crippling" of the feature.
> > >
> > > Or are you suggesting that you have in mind a way to fix this which
> > > makes HEST work even on m400 and renders the quirk unnecessary?
> >
> > HEST error reporting is broken on those platforms and it is one
> > of the main features we expect from FW in ACPI systems, that
> > glossing over the legacy nature of m400 platforms.
> >
> > What I do not understand, and Ard pointed that out already, is why we
> > should add a DMI quirk to the mainline kernel (that he tried/is trying
> > very hard to prevent since ACPI for ARM64 was merged) to enable a legacy
> > platform with missing/broken (HEST) key FW functionality in a
> > distribution.
> >
> > If we answer that question we can merge this series but I see no
> > compelling reason for the time being.
>
> These systems still exist in the real world and enabling HEST in the
> (generic) kernel configuration causes a regression on those systems.
>
> The advice from upstream Linux maintainers for many years has been for
> distros to remain as close as possible to upstream and to take stable
> updates early and often. Telling distros to carry patches because a
> platform is no longer produced seems to me to be completely counter to
> that.
>
> Is it the policy now that users of a platform should no longer upgrade
> their kernels once the manufacturer has decided the platform is EOL, or
> shortly after when the kernel decides it is no longer worth supporting?

I do not think it is an argument as clean-cut as you may want it to
appear. We are talking about one of (if not "the") earliest ACPI
platforms on ARM64 with all the implications on FW that this may
have. We already had to add horrible quirks (PCI) for people to
use it.

We are telling you that it would be preferable to avoid taking quirks
for this platform given its legacy nature and EOL FW, at least not
DMI based quirks.

You are referring to the process in general, I am referring to
a specific platform with its ACPI support in mind that caused all
sort of issues from an upstream point of view.

Ard provided an alternative to this patch series since he has good
reasons not to want it in the mainline kernel, we understand your point
but I think it is time for you and others to understand ours too.

Thanks,
Lorenzo