Re: [RFC 00/15] ACPI graph support

On Thu, Oct 06, 2016 at 12:40:58PM +0200, Mark Brown wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 06, 2016 at 12:11:33PM +0300, Mika Westerberg wrote:
>
> > One reason is that we have boards like Joule where developers are
> > allowed to connect different peripherals using buses such as I2C and SPI
> > where there is no native enumeration mechanism. This includes camera
> > sensors and related so there needs to be a way for a developer to
> > describe this in ACPI. Just as can be done when using ARM and DT.
>
> One of my biggest concerns with this approach is that I'm really not
> clear to me that that this has broad buy in from the x86/ACPI community
> and therefore that we might end up needing to support several different
> styles of ACPI bindings.  Reuse would be great but it can be confusing
> if there's multiple different styles of bindings in use at the same
> time.

Yes, that's possible unfortunately. And we can't force people to use
whatever _DSD properties we came up. Instead they use whatever is
convenient for them, even if it is already available in the _DSD
properties database.

> The audio systems that have this issue (which include production laptops
> and tablets with both Windows and ChromeOS) don't seem to be showing
> much interest in reusing any of the DT work beyond the device level
> properties and I didn't think the OS level support for using _DSD in
> Windows was great.  There were also the pinctrl bindings which had some
> issues too.

Right and it does not always follow DT work even on device level.

Here is an example what Windows is supporting. They use _DSD device
properties but it is completely different to what Linux and DT use:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/uwp/devices-sensors/enable-usermode-access

We have had all that stuff in DT already but they chose not to use it.