Re: [RFC 00/15] ACPI graph support

On Thu, Oct 06, 2016 at 12:11:33PM +0300, Mika Westerberg wrote:

> One reason is that we have boards like Joule where developers are
> allowed to connect different peripherals using buses such as I2C and SPI
> where there is no native enumeration mechanism. This includes camera
> sensors and related so there needs to be a way for a developer to
> describe this in ACPI. Just as can be done when using ARM and DT.

One of my biggest concerns with this approach is that I'm really not
clear to me that that this has broad buy in from the x86/ACPI community
and therefore that we might end up needing to support several different
styles of ACPI bindings.  Reuse would be great but it can be confusing
if there's multiple different styles of bindings in use at the same
time.

The audio systems that have this issue (which include production laptops
and tablets with both Windows and ChromeOS) don't seem to be showing
much interest in reusing any of the DT work beyond the device level
properties and I didn't think the OS level support for using _DSD in
Windows was great.  There were also the pinctrl bindings which had some
issues too.