Re: Registering a device driver before _INI?

On 05/15/2015 04:50 PM, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
> On Friday, May 15, 2015 05:55:17 PM Adam Goode wrote:

>>> Ah, my bad.  I misread the _REG part.  The OS does call _REG, not the AML.
>>> Just the same, that section does say that "control methods must assume all
>>> operation regions inaccessible until the _REG(RegionSpace, 1) method is
>>> executed."  I would take that to mean that _INI cannot assume SystemCMOS
>>> is ready to use, unless _REG has been defined in an enclosing scope so the
>>> OS knows it is to be executed.
>>>
>>> Could you point out where the dependency analysis is indicated?  I am
>>> not seeing that at all; that would seem to require a priori knowledge
>>> of all of the regions all of the devices could ever possibly use, and
>>> it's not clear to me that can even be conveyed to the OS using the
>>> current version of the spec.  As someone involved in writing the spec,
>>> I want to make sure we're being unambiguous in what is required.
>>
>> I think you can relax, I believe I read too far into section 6.5.8
>> _DEP (Operation Region Dependencies). It points out that _DEP is
>> optional, but goes on to say that you need _REG callbacks to be called
>> anyway.

Ah.  Okey dokey.  I will take a look at these sections again, though,
just to see if there's a way to make them clearer.

>> What is a little confusing to me here is that _REG is per
>> address-space, not per address. I guess that makes some sense for some
>> kinds of regions.

>>> Perhaps; as long as _INI is executed before _HID as required (6.5.1, again).
>>>

>> Hmm, this looks like it's the problem, and does strongly suggest to me
>> that the firmware is busted.
>
> Still, if Windows has no problems working with it, so should we.

Yeah, agreed.  It's interesting (well, to me, at least :) that this has not
shown up before as other _INI functions depending on unregistered regions.
Or maybe I just haven't been aware of them before...

>> But the spec is confusing to me here, it
>> says _INI is run before _HID is "run". What does it mean for _HID to
>> run? It's not a method in the traditional sense. I think it is
>> implying OS device enumeration?
>
> _HID may be implemented as a method in which case it will be run.  But it is
> better to say "evaluated" in any case. :-)

Ain't English fun?  Yup, it's an object that gets evaluated.  I'll try to watch
out for that in the future :).

> Windows appears to install the CMOS region handler upfront, probably with the
> assumption that firmware accessing operation regions in it should know that
> the CMOS device is actually present.

So would it make sense to reconsider where Linux registers regions, and maybe
move them earlier?  I can't really tell how prevalent this sort of situation
might be in firmware out in the wild; it may be more practical to just handle
each region when it becomes an issue like this one.

--
ciao,
al