RE: [Patch] MCE, APEI: Don't enable CMCI when Firmware First mode is set in HEST for corrected machine checks

I'll try to summarize the situation:

We proposed two iterations of a patch that would parse HEST for a
Corrected Machine Check entry and cause CMCI to be disabled if the
Firmware First flag was found to be on in that entry.
Several shortcomings of this approach were subsequently pointed out:
a) Disabling CMCI doesn't go far enough. If the firmware wants to
control corrected machine checks then we shouldn't even be polling the
MCi_STATUS registers. Therefore we need to disable CMCI and disable
polling if FF is set.

b) The firmware may take over only a subset of the possible corrected
machine check events. If we turn off CMCI (and polling) for all banks we
may miss out on some types of errors. Therefore we should not
indiscriminately disable CMCI on all banks.

The question arose whether the APEI spec allows to specify individual
machine check banks which fall under FF control. The answer appears to
be 'possibly'. The Corrected Machine Check (CMC) structure defined in
the APEI spec allows for a list of Machine Check Bank structures which
could be used to designate a set of banks falling under FF control.
However, the spec is silent on how the list of Machine Check Bank
structures in the CMC structure is be used.

Further steps in this endeavor may depend on the interpretation of the
CMC structure in APEI an whether we can specify individual machine check
banks that fall under FF control.

- Max