RE: MSR Len Brown Sept 12, 2012

>cpuidle BOF had Scheduler people (PeterZ) stating that the Scheduler should do the idle prediction logic and it makes no sense to duplicate it in cpuidle governor.
>This is a very promising prospect.

When tasking moved to CPU running, it will wake up CPU from C-states, it is reasonable for scheduler to prediction. However, interrupt coming also wake up CPU from C-states, how can schedule predict it?  Interrupt is not task, so it is out of scheduler scope.
So I do not think it is duplicated in cpuidle even though possible idle prediction in scheduler for task. In addition, scheduler is not agile for cpuidle prediction because scheduler granularity is at milli-seconds level (HZ) while C-state entry/exit is at micro-seconds level.  What's more, scheduler is too big/heavy to do fully prediction for cpuidle, it will scarify scheduler performance.

I think that the doable things scheduler at it are there: 1. when task is generated, scheduler do not put it to idlest scheduler_domain/schedule_group, it in according current task assignment and power saving(/performance) policy to predict which is the best target scheduler_domain/schedule_group which will benefit package C-state/Core C-state entry in recent future.  2. when load balance also can do the same prediction.  If nobody deny, I will quickly write sample code for testing.

Thanks & Regards,
Song, Youquan
Intel SSG/SSD/OTC
MOB: 13681289076