Re: Driver for handling SCI interrupt.

Thanks very much for the very helpful info.
I have added the GPE to my DSDT and now I can see the GPE counter in
/sys/firmware/acpi/interrupts increasing whenever I send an SCI.
Further more, I  found the function acpi_install_gpe_handler in the
kernel, and used it successfully to install a handler in a temporary
driver I created.
My custom device is an I2C device that I will read input from ,
whenever my gpe event occurs. Now my question is : this seems to work
without declaring a new device in the DSDT , with an HID - as you
mentioned - so can I get away with doing things this way , or would it
be bad practice ?
Thanks,

On Mon, Feb 6, 2012 at 10:57 PM, Matthew Garrett <mjg59@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 06, 2012 at 11:25:20AM +0800, Daniel Toussaint wrote:
>
>> I am working on an Intel (ICH8) based system. A custom device on the system
>> emits interrupts to a GPI on the ICH8 chip. Currently, as a test, I have
>> from userspace configured the GPI we use to send a SCI. This seems to work,
>> because I get a "IRQ9 , nobody cared" message from the kernel.
>> My questions now are :
>> How do I go about and create an ACPI based driver to catch this event ? Or am
>> I searching in the wrong direction.
>> If I am right, and the driver has to go through ACPI, are changes to the
>> ACPI tables in BIOS required ?
>
> The ACPI tables should declare the device and its resources, along with
> a unique _HID() to allow the driver to bind to it. There should also be
> a _Lxx or_Exx (depending on whether it's level or edge triggered) method
> for the appropriate GPE (which is the GPIO number + 0x10 on ICH8, I
> believe) which sends a Notify to the ACPI device. It's then trivial to
> write a small Linux acpi driver which will get the notifications.
>
> --
> Matthew Garrett | mjg59@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

--
Gtalk: daniel.toussaint@xxxxxxxxx