Re: Driver for handling SCI interrupt.

On Mon, Feb 06, 2012 at 11:25:20AM +0800, Daniel Toussaint wrote:

> I am working on an Intel (ICH8) based system. A custom device on the system
> emits interrupts to a GPI on the ICH8 chip. Currently, as a test, I have
> from userspace configured the GPI we use to send a SCI. This seems to work,
> because I get a "IRQ9 , nobody cared" message from the kernel.
> My questions now are :
> How do I go about and create an ACPI based driver to catch this event ? Or am
> I searching in the wrong direction.
> If I am right, and the driver has to go through ACPI, are changes to the
> ACPI tables in BIOS required ?

The ACPI tables should declare the device and its resources, along with
a unique _HID() to allow the driver to bind to it. There should also be
a _Lxx or_Exx (depending on whether it's level or edge triggered) method
for the appropriate GPE (which is the GPIO number + 0x10 on ICH8, I
believe) which sends a Notify to the ACPI device. It's then trivial to
write a small Linux acpi driver which will get the notifications.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59@xxxxxxxxxxxxx