Re: ACPI problems, Dell XPS 15z laptop

On Sun, Dec 25, 2011 at 5:20 PM, Cristian Rodríguez
<crrodriguez@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Heh, today I tested a crazy theory I had about this problem, turned out to
> be somewhat accurate.. it is not that the machine that hangs always, but it
> deceivingly "appears" to hang as I cannot get past the cryptsetup password
> prompt.. it is the keyboard controller that becomes non responsive, that 's
> it either before the "prompt" (where it hangs) or right after showing it.
> (in that scenario the USB port works, as plugin and removing a device shows
> the relevant events in the console)
>
> It is random, let's say, the USB port works twice every three boots.

If it's just USB or keyboard that's non-responsive, you may be able to
ssh into the box and collect a dmesg log.  Oh, but I suppose ssh is
not going to work if you're stuck at cryptsetup.  Netconsole might
work, if your kernel supports it.  Or maybe a video of a text-mode
boot?

It might be instructive to compare the log with no options with a log
using one of the options you found that seems to help.

Bjorn