Re: ACPI problems, Dell XPS 15z laptop

On 25/12/11 18:07, Cristian Rodríguez wrote:
(please CC me your replies, I am not subscribed)

Hi:

The laptop in $SUBJECT freezes at boot time, at random points sometimes
after

[FIRMWARE BUG] ACPI(PEGP) defines _DOD but not _DOS

But in other ocassions, just after udev attempts to mount filesystems.

Using the following boot options make the system boot and work somewhat
stable.

(these are single options, not combined)

- acpi=noirq

- pci=noacpi --> with this option I get warnings telling me to try
"usepirqmask..."

- nox2apic

- intremap=off

This is a very recent sandy bridge system, the only clues I get from the
log is:

"Not all IO-APIC's listed under remapping hardware
x2apic not enabled, IRQ remapping init failed"

Heh, today I tested a crazy theory I had about this problem, turned out to be somewhat accurate.. it is not that the machine that hangs always, but it deceivingly "appears" to hang as I cannot get past the cryptsetup password prompt.. it is the keyboard controller that becomes non responsive, that 's it either before the "prompt" (where it hangs) or right after showing it. (in that scenario the USB port works, as plugin and removing a device shows the relevant events in the console)

It is random, let's say, the USB port works twice every three boots.