Re: ACPI ALS Status ?

On Sun, Nov 6, 2011 at 11:51 PM, Corentin Chary
<corentin.chary@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 6, 2011 at 11:16 PM, Len Brown <lenb@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> I was looking at the DSDT of a new samsung laptop (I can send you the
>>> output of acpidump if interested), and it export a standard ACPI ALS
>>> device. So, it's actually great to see vendor using that, but it seems
>>> that the series adding support for that and sent back in 2009 is not
>>> available in the kernel. I'd really like to use my the ALS, what's the
>>> current status of the driver ? Still blocked because we don't have a
>>> generic sysfs class ? If yes, can't we just use a non-standard
>>> interface ? It would still be better than no driver at all.
>>
>> Yes, I think ACPI ALS support has been waiting for hardware to justify
>> its existence.
>>
>> When it first entered the spec, we were excited to see it was present
>> in some high-end laptops, but IIR on closer examination the AML turned
>> out to be dummy code.
>>
>> If you can verify that your Samsung really does implement ACPI ALS,
>> then that is all we need to stumble forward.

I just found some time to try the latest patch series I could found on
gmane (v6 I think).
Here are the results:

$ uname -s -r
Linux 3.0.0-14-generic

$ tree -L 1 /sys/class/als/acpi_als0/
/sys/class/als/acpi_als0/
├── device -> ../../../LNXSYSTM:00/device:00/PNP0A08:00/device:02/PNP0C09:00/ACPI0008:00
├── display_adjustment
├── illuminance
├── power
├── subsystem -> ../../../../class/als
└── uevent

// light off
$ cat display_adjustment
23%
$ cat illuminance
7

// light on
$ cat display_adjustment
74%
$ cat illuminance
368

// finger on sensor
$ cat display_adjustment
7%
$ cat illuminance
1

So, it works perfectly, and since I've just added keyboard backlight
support in samsung-laptop, that would be the last (kernel) bit to
enable automagic screen/keyboard backlight :).

--
Corentin Chary
http://xf.iksaif.net