power_meter driver location

Hi Len, hi all,

Currently the ACPI power meter driver lives in drivers/acpi, and
depends on HWMON. I don't think it makes sense because, in the
configuration menu, the user sees the ACPI options first, and HWMON
comes later, so if HWMON is disabled, the user has no idea that the
ACPI power meter driver exists. It happens that CONFIG_HWMON currently
defaults to y so this scenario won't happen on new configurations, but
it could still happen when people upgrade an old configuration. It
could also happen that a user selects the ACPI power meter, then looks
at the driver list under CONFIG_HWMON and decides that he/she doesn't
need anything there and deselects HWMON, and disables the ACPI power
meter driver as a result. Lastly, there is no guarantee that
CONFIG_HWMON will default to y forever, I admit I'm unsure why it is
that way.

I think that it would make more sense to:
* either move the ACPI power meter driver to drivers/hwmon, and treat
  it like any other hardware monitoring driver, with a dependency on
  ACPI;
* or leave the ACPI power meter driver in drivrs/acpi, but turn the
  "depends on HWMON" into "select HWMON", so it can't be hidden or
  unselected by accident.

Opinion anyone?

--
Jean Delvare