Re: Linux doesn't shutdown (turn off) the computer

On 04/16/2010 12:06 PM, Dâniel Fraga wrote:
	I've been using Linux since 1997 and started with Slackware
3.1 with an AT case.

	Then some time after, I upgraded the system to a ATX case and
ATX power supply of course. Unfortunately Linux never turn the computer
off after shutdown. It *always* stay at the "System halted" screen and
I have to press for 4 seconds the power button for the computer to
turn off.

	With Windows everything works perfectly...

	I tested this Linux system with 3 different motherboards and
the problem remains.

	So, is it a ACPI issue, configuration? What logs or information
do you need to properly debug this?

	Now I'm using Linux 2.6.33.

	Thanks.

	Ps: my question is: what happens after the "System halted"
message? The kernel sends a signal to the motherboard, BIOS, whatever
to shutdown the computer? Maybe something is blocking it? Thanks.

dmesg output from bootup would be useful. Is it actually using ACPI, or is it an APM system? I think you should see an "acpi_power_off called" message if the kernel is actually trying to use ACPI to power off the machine.