Re: Looking for some pointers on WMI/EC access

On Sat, Apr 17, 2010 at 5:37 PM, Florian Echtler <floe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I've just bought an Ideapad S10-3t, and most features including ACPI
> work fine. However, since neither thinkpad-acpi nor lenovo-sl-laptop
> support this device, I've been looking around for some hints on how to
> access the embedded controller in order to get the hotkeys working. I'll
> post what I've found so far and hope that somebody could give me some
> hints as to how to proceed.
>
> First, I've dumped the DSDT and browsed through it. I've found a _WDT
> section, and wmidump shows:

Wow, someone actually used that tool ^^
A Quick hint would be to look at
https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/87210/ which is basically a really
short example of what a wmi-driver is.
Just change the guid, buid/load, push some hotkeys, see dmesg, edit
the keymap, build, load, test ..

> ABBC0F20-8EA1-11D1-00A0-C90629100000:
>        object_id: �
>        notify_id: 80
>        reserved: 00
>        instance_count: 1
>        flags: 0x8 ACPI_WMI_EVENT
> ABBC0F40-8EA1-11D1-00A0-C90629100000:
>        object_id: IO
>        notify_id: 49
>        reserved: 4F
>        instance_count: 1
>        flags: 0x1 ACPI_WMI_EXPENSIVE
> 05901221-D566-11D1-B2F0-00A0C9062910:
>        object_id: AE
>        notify_id: 41
>        reserved: 45
>        instance_count: 1
>        flags: 0
>
> As this laptop also runs some kind of Splashtop instant-on Linux called
> Lenovo Quickstart, I've decided to extract the initrd from its kernel
> (*) and browse through the modules. Interestingly, I've found a
> lenovo_ec.ko: strings shows that it accesses some DSDT elements which
> are present on the S10-3t. Would it make sense to disassemble this?

You can also try to see if the manufacturer give some sources or ask them to ...

(ccing platform-x86)
--
Corentin Chary
http://xf.iksaif.net