Re: [RFC] Shutdown on thermal HOT event if no userspace tool registered being able to do S4

Hi Thomas,

於 二,2010-03-30 於 10:23 +0100,Thomas Renninger 提到:
> Hi,
>
> this is related to:
> commit fa80945269f312bc609e8384302f58b03c916e12
>     ACPI thermal: Don't invalidate thermal zone if critical trip point is bad
> and
> commit 8b7ef6d8f16274da42344cd50746ddb1c93c25ea
>     ACPI thermal: Check for thermal zone requirement
>
> There the critical trip point is replaced with the hot trip
> point if latest Windows OS is detected (Vista also? I think yes,
> but need to double check).
>
> This seem to get more common and it looks like Windows suggests
> to use hot trip points for thermal emergency shutdowns (S4).
> It looks like the default Windows thermal emergency power off is
> S4. Thus the hot trip point is used and the critical trip point
> is of no use anymore (and often gets replaced or is invalid).

Sorry, I have didn't test it on Windows 7 by myself, but got information
from ODM, the _CRT is still work on Windows 7.

And, the following is 2 point need discuss:
 - Not every OS all support S4, like: Moblin 2.x or MeeGo 1.x
 - If _HOT S4 fail, like disk full, then _CRT still very important to
   hardware component if there have no any hardware protect mechanism.

> As thermal emergency shut down is something urgent there is this
> direct call /sbin/poweroff in orderly_poweroff(true) compare with
> kernel/sys.c and drivers/thermal/thermal_sys.c
> This won't work in above cases when BIOS writers assume the machine
> is shut down with _HOT already and do not provide _CRT anymore.

Agreed! There have a bit BIOS didn't return _CRT value or return the
invalid _CRT value. We still need shutdown machine even on _HOT or _CRT.

> My idea is to also shutdown the system on _HOT by default,
> the same way as done if _CRT is exceeded as long as no userspace
> explicitly set a sysfs (only one file set by thermal_sys.c somewhere
> in /sys?).
> Background is that S4 needs some setup (e.g. swap) or userspace hooks
> to make sure S4 succeeds and everything (network, whatever...) is set
> up correctly afterwards.
>
> Requirement for the userspace tool setting the "do not shutdown if a
> hot thermal event happened" would be:
>   - Fetch the thermal hot event
>   - Reliably power off the system (shutdown if S4 did not succeed)
>   - ...
>
> Comments?
> What userspace tools are candidates to implement this if this
> makes sense?

HAL + pm-util or DeviceKit-power might the candidates. But, if there
have no those component in userland, what will acpi thermal module do?
Direct shutdown?
And, how can kernel space know userland can do this job well? Might wait
10 seconds if system doesn't S4 or shutdown?

Thank's
Joey Lee