Re: T400 does not enter C4/C6 sleep state with USB devices connected

On Thu, 18 Feb 2010, Pedro Ribeiro wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I spent lots of hours trying to figure out why my T400 would not enter
> C4 and C6 sleep states.
>
> Here are my findings:
>
> - When a USB device is connected, even if it supports USB autosuspend,
> the cpu will never go down more than C3 (apparently the mode is
> disabled by the BIOS).
>
> - After removing all the USB devices, in AC it enters C4 and in
> battery it enters C6.
> The BIOS apparently replaces C3 with C4 and C6, respectively, because
> /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpuidle/
>
> always shows 4 states, whatever the situation.
>
> So one more reason not to use USB devices while on battery...
>
> Is this normal behaviour or I have a retarded BIOS? And if so, is
> there a workaround?

Yes, it is normal, and retarded:-)

Ideally, if a USB device is not used and usb autosuspend
is successful, then I would hope that you'd be able to
get into the deep C-state - but autosuspend is not
universally successful; and in some cases does nothing at all.

It is common for the BIOS to hide the higher latency deep
C-state on AC and expose it on DC.  I think that this technique
is largely obsolete today, and I'm hopeful that the practice
will eventually die out.

cheers,
-Len Brown, Intel Open Source Technology Center