T400 does not enter C4/C6 sleep state with USB devices connected

Hi all,

I spent lots of hours trying to figure out why my T400 would not enter
C4 and C6 sleep states.

Here are my findings:

- When a USB device is connected, even if it supports USB autosuspend,
the cpu will never go down more than C3 (apparently the mode is
disabled by the BIOS).

- After removing all the USB devices, in AC it enters C4 and in
battery it enters C6.
The BIOS apparently replaces C3 with C4 and C6, respectively, because
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpuidle/

always shows 4 states, whatever the situation.

So one more reason not to use USB devices while on battery...

Is this normal behaviour or I have a retarded BIOS? And if so, is
there a workaround?

(please mail directly to me as in not in the linux-acpi list)

Regards,
Pedro