Re: multiple APIC/MADT found

On Friday 13 November 2009 06:38:38 am Fred Labrosse wrote:
> At some point, I discovered that I only had one processor active on my
> laptop (A VAIO VGN-SZ2M) wich has a centrino duo in (2 cores).  I then
> discovered in dmesg the lines that say:
>
> ACPI: BIOS bug: multiple APIC/MADT found, using 0
> ACPI: If "acpi_apic_instance=2" works better, notify linux-
> acpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> So I did that (acpi_apic_instance=2) and that did give me 2 processors.
> Which is definitely better, hence my email to the suggested address.

I think we need a DMI or similar mechanism to do this automatically,
so you don't need to use "acpi_apic_instance=2" every time you boot.
Can you open a bug report at http://bugzilla.kernel.org, attach the
output of dmidecode, and post the bug URL here?

> There is one thing that does not quite work however and I don't know if this
> is related: ACPI only sees one processor and therefore cpufreq only controls
> the frequency of one processor.  I think this used to work but I don't know
> when that stopped.

I assume you mean that with "acpi_apic_instance=2", Linux starts both
CPUs, but cpufreq only works with one.  If so, can you open another
bug report, attach the dmesg log, and post the URL here?

Thanks,
  Bjorn