Re: FSB scaling for ASUS EeePC 1000H

Matthew Garrett ha scritto:
On Sun, Mar 15, 2009 at 04:01:23PM +0100, Francesco Lattanzio wrote:
The following patch (against the current "linux-acpi-2.6" source tree) adds the capability of the ASUS EeePC 1000H (and maybe other models as well) to scale the FSB frequency and core voltage. Do not confuse this with cpufreq (SpeedStep and other similar mechanisms): cpufreq changes the internal CPU clock multiplier (and eventually the core voltage too) leaving the FSB frequency untouched.

No, there's no requirement that cpufreq be limited to clock-multiplier based methods. It's the right interfae to use for CPU speed control.

(snip patch)

Is this different to the cpufreq driver suggested at http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/11/23/115 , other than the latter having hardcoded speed values?

It is exactly the same thing, done differently. Now I ask you, should we put this feature inside some eeepc-specific cpufreq module, or inside the eeepc-laptop module? Keep in mind that the 1000H model allows me to combine the effects of both the cpufreq (through Atom SpeedStep feature) and these ACPI methods.

--
Francesco Lattanzio <franz.lattanzio@xxxxxxxxx>