Re: [lm-sensors] #2361: i2c and lm_sensors do not work on Slackware 12.1 with kernel 2.6.27.6

On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 08:17:42PM +0900, Robert Delahunt wrote:
> How is it fixed?  ACPI and sensors should be able to live together.  If I
> can't have one without the other, in my opinion, this is a blind spot for
> both projects.  Has anyone brought this up to the kernel ACPI developers to
> see if they can "unhide" or "expose" the hardware monitoring?

Hitting thermal regulation hardware directly can cause problems if
you're also using ACPI, since there's no way of implementing locking
between the firmware and the operating system in this case. Since most
thermal monitoring hardware is accessed using indexed registers, having
two pieces of code trying to access the hardware simultaneously will
give bogus values and potentially result in hardware damage. Many
laptops therefore hide the smbus from the operating system. While it's
possible to unhide them, it's not a good idea.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59@xxxxxxxxxxxxx