Re: /proc/acpi/ removal plan

On Friday, 19 of September 2008, Zhang, Rui wrote:
> [...]

Have you noticed that the GPEs are actually set up right before
entering the sleep state?  acpi_enable_wakeup_device() does that, so in fact
yes, it does work.

> >I think the biggest problem with sysfs wakeup is that every
> >device in the tree gets a wakeup file, even if it
> >has no wakeup capability...
> >
> that's okay.
> The wakeup file return null string if it doesn't have the wakeup ability.
> To be honest, there is one thing that I'm still concerned about.
> The wakeup file is a runtime device wakeup flag rather than a system wakeup
> flag.  i.e. "enabled" means that the device can be suspend/resumed at
> runtime.

No, it is _NOT_.  'enabled' means that the device is allowed to wake up the
system from a sleep state if so configured.

> It doesn't ensure that it can wakeup the system from a sleep state.
> If /proc/acpi/wakeup is replaced by the /sys/devices/.../wakeup, users may
> be confused because the device can not wakeup the system even if the wakeup
> file is set to "enabled".

That is actually true, but OTOH there's no any 'binary' interface that can be
used for that, because for example network adapters can wake-up the system in
many different situations (ie. they can react to many different types of
packets).

To avoid the confusion, I started to change the wake-on-LAN ioctls of network
adapters so that they update the 'wakeup' flag whey the device is set up to
wake up.

> >>  button sys I/F can be found at /sys/class/input/.
> >> e.g.
> >> # cat /sys/class/input/input*/device/hid
> >> LNXPWRBN
> >> PNP0C0C
> >
> >The /proc files for power and sleep buttons simply
> >told us what kind of button they were, just info, not API.
> >
> >The functional one is PNP0C0D, the lid switch.
> >It is also reflected in /sys/class/input, but I don't
> >see a way to find from /sys the open/closed state
> >like we have in /proc.  (I ran into this when I tried
> >to delete the button /proc I/F some time ago).
> >
> You're right. Lid device still needs such an I/F.

This is correct, /proc/wakeup is necessary for devices like that.

Thanks,
Rafael