Re: Thermal zone names

Hi Rui,

On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 09:36:20 +0800, Zhang Rui wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-08-21 at 04:34 +0800, Jean Delvare wrote:
> > Hi Rui,
> >
> > The ACPI thermal zones in /proc/acpi/thermal_zone have a name. The
> > ACPI
> > thermal zones in /sys/class/thermal do not.
> First, the name used in procfs doesn't make sense.
> It just uses the arbitrary stings exported by BIOS. Some of them is
> meaningless, and even there may be duplicate names.

I thought that these names were unique identifiers for ACPI?

> The only benefit is that we can easily figure out which device in the
> ACPI namespace this interface is for.
>
> Second, /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zoneX/device is the symbol link to
> the real device node, and there is a sysfs I/F named "path" which can be
> used for the same purpose (find corresponding devices in ACPI namespace)
>
> so it's okay that the ACPI thermal zones in /sys/class/thermal doesn't
> have a name.

For lm-sensors users, the fact that the information is available
somewhere in sysfs isn't too interesting. Either the name is used as
the default label, or it's not.

> >  Would it be possible to add
> > it there? When these thermal zones are exported to libsensors, the
> > temperatures appear with their default labels (temp1, temp2, etc...)
> > Users sometimes wonder what these temperatures correspond to.
> Do you mean making use of "temp[1-*]_label"?

Yes, exactly.

> As we already know the BIOS name (procfs name) of an ACPI thermal sysfs
> class device, we can export the name of thermal sysfs class device in
> "temp[1-*]_label", something like "thermal_zoneX".
> what do you think?

The name "thermal_zoneX" is not useful at all for the user. It's no
more informative than "tempX". What I wanted to print was the ACPI
name. Now you say that it's not meaningful. In that case there's simply
nothing we can do, sorry for the noise.

Thanks,
--
Jean Delvare