Re: Thinkpad X60s power usage on battery - Windows/Linux comparison

On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 3:42 AM, Andi Kleen <andi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> "Vedran Rodic" <vrodic@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
>>
>> Windows power monitoring tool from Lenovo reports power usage of 6.5 W under
>> the same LCD brightness level and with wireless disabled.
>
> It would be better if you compared using the same "neutral" method.
>
> Most cheap power measurements tend to quite inaccurate and who
> knows in which direction this Windows power monitoring tool is wrong.
> It might be wrong in a different direction than what you used
> under Linux.

Yeah, or they might not be wrong and my eyes could be :( It turns out
that Windows can get the LCD brightness down more than thinkpad-acpi,
or whatever is turning down the brightnes when I press the Fn-End
combination (both in X and in the console - I guess it's the BIOS).

> A reasonable accurate method might be to just measure the time how
> long the battery lasts in both cases using a similar workload
> (e.g. keeping it completely idle)

Difference between lowest Windows LCD brightness levels and Linux
brightness levels:

3:40h on Windows (it hibernated the laptop when the battery was
arround 5% percent, did arround 10 more minutes sitting on the grub
screen).
2:36 on Linux.

Now the question is how do I get the LCD brightness down even more on
X, but this may already be solved in the latest Xorg intel driver,
just not with the Fn keys.

If I see any more surprising battery life differences when I manage to
get the same low brightness level on both OS-es, I'll let you know.

Vedran