Thinkpad X60s power usage on battery - Windows/Linux comparison

I've decided to write up something that I've been aware of for some time,
but that didn't really bother me that much, since I've been waiting for the
situation to improve quietly.

The basic observation is: My trusty X60s uses less power when on battery
on Windows than on Linux.

This situation hasn't changed significantly despite the appearance of powertop
to trim the number of processor wakeups per second thus enabling the
processor to stay in deep sleep states for longer time and improvements in
the Xorg intel video driver.

I get arround 3.3 wakeups per second minimally when
my Xorg/KDE is not active, with laptop using 9.1 W (as reported by
powertop). When Xorg/KDE is running, with one konsole to monitor usage with
powertop, I get arround 13 wakeups per second and power usage of 9.4 W. All
the measurements are done with LCD brightness on the lowest level, wireless
interfaces disabled, and all power saving features that powertop can detect
enabled. Processor is in C3 state 99.9% of the time. I tried removing
various driver modules that I didn't use at the time (irda, pcmcia,
ethernet, sound), but no change.

Windows power monitoring tool from Lenovo reports power usage of 6.5 W under
the same LCD brightness level and with wireless disabled.

This was tested under Linux 2.6.26-rc8 (some git level after the rc8
release). Older
versions of the kernel didn't show any statistically significant
differences. powertop
is version 1.10, and the software used under Windows XP
is Lenovo ThinkVantage Power Manager.

Since I doubt that Windows XP has less wakeups per second than my
Linux setup, I guess
there are still a couple of IBM specific power saving
registers/controls that can be
tweaked so that the laptop uses less power. Does anybody have any idea
on what would that
be? Any friendly contacts at lenovo?

Thanks
Vedran Rodic