Re: How do I do an acpidump

Colin Laurie wrote:
> Thank you for that.
> Unfortunately I already have pmtools for 64 bit Suse linux KDE4.
> I cannot currently find a way to run programs unless they are in the applications menu, other than
> from my bash terminal.
> The latter does not recognise any acpid__ commands or have any man pages for them.
>
> Apologies if I am displaying my ignorance but there is no guidance whatsoever in this matter, that I
> can find.

<http://www.lesswatts.org/projects/acpi/utilities.php>

    In summary, dump the ACPI tables from your system to a text file:
    $ acpidump > acpidump.out

Perhaps you need to start a root shell using the "su" command, before
you try running the "acpidump" command.  acpidump likely lives under
/usr/sbin which is not in the search path for normal users (and it
should need root privileges anyway).

This might be considered a UI flaw in SUSE.  In Ubuntu you would be able
to run "acpidump" as a normal user, and then guess that root was
required if it complains "permission denied".

Alan