Re: Check for ACPI backlight support otherwise use vendor ACPIdrivers - version 4

On Monday 04 August 2008 12:39:30 Yves-Alexis Perez wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 04, 2008 at 12:20:28PM +0200, Thomas Renninger wrote:
> > > But when in user mode, brightness keys doesn't do anything either.
> > > Echo'ing to /proc/acpi/ibm/brightness doesn't work, but echoing
> > > to /sys/class/backlight/thinkpad_screen/brightness works.
> >
> > That /proc/acpi/ibm/brightness does not and
> > /sys/class/backlight/thinkpad_screen/brightness
> > works is strange, this should be a bug?
>
> I guess so, but I don't really know how to check.
>
> > I wonder whether /proc/acpi/ibm/brightness can be removed soon, people
> > had some time to make use of the generic interface.
>
> I'm not using it usually anyway.
>
> > What you describe very much reminds me when I tested on a ThinkPad with
> > an IGD device. I removed the check for IGD devices in favour of a working
> > IGD driver.
> >
> > Attached patch might help you (with acpi_backlight=vendor)?
> > You should be able to apply this on my latest patchset, but use this
> > patch instead of the thinkpad_acpi one.
>
> Ok, will try tonight. But I remember Henrique saying my thinkpad
> shouldnt use thinkpad-acpi but rather video.ko for brightness
> management, so I'm a bit puzzled.
>
> > > Cat'ing /proc/acpi/events still gives:
> > > video LCD0 00000086 00000000
> > > video LCD0 00000087 00000000
> > >
> > > At one time I get the 750ms delay, but I don't have the
> > > ibm/hotkey HKEY 00000080 00005010 at all.
> >
> > Hmm, on my machine it was 1010 and 1011 key event values for up/down
> > brightness. If you do not see those, the patch might not work.
>
> And I do remember that the key changed (but can't remember when). Maybe
> that's due to a bios upgrade.
>
> > > In X, same thing, no brightness keys, but xbacklight does work in
> > > standard mode (“kernel”).
> > >
> > > (btw it seems my mails don't reach linux-acpi, I don't really know why
> > > and postmaster don't answer, maybe they didn't have my mail either).
> >
> > I expect you have an IGD device and this should by default be served by
> > Matthew's/Hong's patches. Matthew said something about a needed peace
> > that came in in latest BIOSes? But I expect you already run on the
> > latest?
>
> I run Bios 2.19 and EC 1.08 which are the latest available on
> lenovo.com.
>
> The kernel I'm testing on is a pure linux-acpi-2.6/test so i'm not sure
> I have Matthew's patches.

And this probably is the problem.
They seem not to be in:
branch 'test' of
git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/ak/linux-acpi-2.6

I just tried to find them in the tree that I thought Matthew stated that they
are queued their in the master branch:
git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/airlied/drm-2.6.git
Without success, neither in the master nor in the -mm nor in the linux-next
branch I could find anything with Matthew in CC or pointing to opregion.

The last post from Matthew on the dri list sending an update patch is from:
2008-05-29
This was before he found out that on ThinkPads a PWM method has to be called.

Something is fishy here.
Seems there are still problems? Maybe I should add the IGD check again, then
it's not harmful if the two patchsets do not go in together...

      Thomas