Re: linux-next: Tree for June 13: IO APIC breakage on HP nx6325

* Maciej W. Rozycki <macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>  You may argue this is a regression, but this is simply the cost paid
> for progress -- the kernel stays within the spec as defined both by
> ACPI and MPS, we have just started using a different configuration now
> and an interrupt source override provided by the manufacturer
> explicitly states INTIN2 is good to use.  In a sense you were simply
> lucky previously the kernel was bad enough with the way it configured
> the timer through the I/O APIC it failed completely avoiding the bug
> in your firmware.  Now the bug has got uncovered.

well as long as we eliminate the bad effects around via DMI exceptions
nobody will feel the need to argue whether it's a regression ;-) [this
problem could be argued to be a regression, even if it's caused by prior
luck/stupidity of Linux. We have to live with the effects of our
mistakes.]

	Ingo