acpi thermal sensors not working, laptop overheating

Hi

I've been having problems with thermal regulation on my laptop.  Having skimmed through a few past posts I appreciate that this is a pretty high level mailing list so if I make repeated displays of my ignorance (or if I'm on the wrong list altogether) please forgive me.

--PREAMBLE--
I have a hp pavilion dv5000 series laptop with an AMD turion 64 "ML-32" processor (64 bit) on which I am running ubuntu 8.04.  I have only recently replaced my hard drive *after only two years* when it failed.  I transcoded a large number of dvds in the first month after purchase, and experienced weird problems due to overheating - Win XP / linux wouldn't boot / with lots of errors, colourled lines appeared down the side of my screen, linux installations ever since then started corrupting every few months, finally my hard drive failed...

I think this may be because of heat damage?  I had had both lm-sensors and hddtemp installed before, but I never really knew what the output values meant, until when I got the new hdd I randomly installed the gnome panel sensors applet, and got a bit worried by the red bars and repeated warning messages.

--PROBLEM--
Hddtemp seems normal - 20C when I first switch on, levels out at 40C after an hour or two.
However, after 20mins or so lm-sensors reports a gradual climb in Core0 temperature, which is recieving input from k8temp module, which I read on their freshmeat page records the SOCKET / ON-DIE temperature.  Somebody told me that this refers to the temperature of the outside housing of the CPU, and that therefore the actual CPU temp is much higher!!

Example sensors output:
k8temp-pci-00c3
Adapter: PCI adapter
Core0 Temp:  +54.0°C

Unfortunately I am getting no recording of the internal core temperature - which I am worried must be far too high! I am very concerned about this - on a limited budget relatively I found the new hdd expensive to my means.

When I do this command I get the following:
cat /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/THRM/*

state:                   ok
temperature:             0 C
critical (S5):           94 C
passive:                 90 C: tc1=2 tc2=5 tsp=50 devices=CPU0

state:                   ok
temperature:             0 C
critical (S5):           94 C
passive:                 90 C: tc1=2 tc2=5 tsp=50 devices=CPU0

>From the Core0 / on-die temp I am worried that my CPU temp might be very high, but for some reason it is not being recorded?!?  (Why is a state of 0C considered "ok"?  Surely this should trigger an error message that *clearly* the temperature sensor must not be working?)

My fan is working, I hear it occasionally when the temperature spikes, but it must be set in the bios to not be active enough - again, on-die / core0 temp is 55C - very hot! - and the fan is hardly on at all!  The phoenix bios is rubbish - there are hardly any settings to be changed at all.  When I try running e.g. a 3D game, the core0 / on-die temp can rise to above 70C...!!!  As a temporary measure I have set my cpu frequency governor to powersave, which generally keeps core0 to below 60C.

I also read somewhere that the fan can be manually controlled by passing values to files in /proc/acpi/fan , but unfortunately this folder is completely empty.
With regards to the fan I was informed that it might need cleaning, and I intend to do this.  However, this can't be the sole cause of the problem as I've been having temperature problems with this laptop since the day I bought it (see preamble above).  If it was only the fan getting clogged, then logically it would have been a progressive problem as the fan became dirtier...

Why is acpi not recording my cpu temperature?  How can I get my fans to be more proactive and so avoid wrecking my hardware a second time?  Thanks

My kernel version is 2.6.24-18-generic (64 bit).  What I've written is basically the limits of my knowledge, and I'm no linux guru, so if I've omitted anything my apologies

Cheers,
Luke S

end