Re: can't shut down

Zhao Yakui wrote:
On Thu, 2008-04-17 at 14:03 +0800, majie wrote:
Zhao Yakui wrote:
On Tue, 2008-04-15 at 22:09 +0800, majie wrote:
Hi all,

I'm using Linux kernel 2.6.21.5-smp(Slackware 12). I experience an
error when I turn off my computer. It doesn't turn off itself (maybe
called going into G2/S5 Soft Off in the specification) after printing
a message "acpi_power_off called". I have to press the power button
for several seconds to turn it off. I think the CPUs may be running in
full speed because I hear my fan running in high speed.

I tried to find out the problem by adding some printk()'s to the
function acpi_enter_sleep_state()(in
linux-2.6.21.5\drivers\acpi\hardware\hwsleep.c). And It shows that it
runs into the final do-while loop in the function and doing an
infinite loop. Maybe this is why my CPUs are running in full speed.

I don't have the ability to debug the kernel. So this is the only
information I can provide about the code. If you want me to post my
hardware spec or anything else, I'm very glad to, but please tell me
which command and arguments should I use to get the info.

I have tried the kernel options, but they don't work for me. My laptop
can shut down flawlessly when using windows xp.

By the way, It's a linux distribution independent problem because I
also experienced it in kubuntu 7.10.
Will you please attach the output of acpidump?
The latest dump tool (20070116) can be found in http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/lenb/acpi/utils/

Will you please try the latest kernel(2.6.25-rc9) and see whether the
problem still exists? Note: a. ACPI should be enabled in kernel configuration.
b. Don't use the custom DSDT
c. use "poweroff" command to shutdown

If the problem still exists, please attach the output of dmesg.
thanks.

Hi Yakui,
Do you receive my email I sent to you on April 19 ? I'm still unable to have the 2.6.25-rc9 kernel boot and run. I can't make a valid initrd to boot the kernel. I've spend the whole weekend to solve the problem. But I've no idea why it can mount my real root filesystem.

So I can't test the 2.6.25-rc9 kernel in normal mode. I want to shutdown the computer using busybox's poweroff in the initrd before the real root filesystem being mounted. Is this approach equal to the "normal" shutdown?

Sorry for causing the trouble to you.
Thank you.

-------
Regards,