Re: brightness control on thinkpad t61p

On Wed, 26 Dec 2007, Andrew Morton wrote:
> > For thinkpad-acpi at least, it is not a regression. 2.6.23/0.16 did NOT
> > support your thinkpad (it will pretend to work, but it won't work 100% right
> > as it only supports 8 levels of backlight control).
>
> Well it may have been partially working, but it worked.

See below...

> >  2.6.24-rc4/0.17 added
> > support for it (16-level brightness), but also added the automatic detection
> > of ACPI generic video support.
>
> Doesn't work.

Needs fixing, then.  THAT is the way to go in the future, including for
thinkpads.

> > You can ask thinkpad-acpi for the backlight interface using the
> > "brightness_enable=1" parameter, if you'd rather use it instead of the
> > generic ACPI video driver.  I don't know if you can ask video to not enable
> > backlight control, though.
>
> I shouldn't have to add some module parameter to get previously-working
> stuff to work again.

It was not working properly, and it was unsupported.  Things that work
half-way by accident are NOT considered to be supported in my book.

While I don't mind at all to leave it enabled when there are other drivers
also taking care of brightness, I am afraid it will cause an even worse
mess, since ACPI video will attempt to control the backlight level as
well.  So, I have disabled the thinkpad-specific interface when the presence
of the generic interface (driven by ACPI video) is detected.

> > > Both of these have a `brightness' entry which has contents of 100.
> > > When I set that to 10, the screen's brightness is not reduced.
> >
> > One of them should work.  Maybe X.org is doing something?
>
> Dunno.

Really up-to-date X.org can completely disable the BIOS backlight handling
by changing some registers in the GPUs, at least for Radeons (and probably
Intel GPUs).  I believe there are ways to control it through xbacklight
options, but I don't have that X.org yet, so I can't tell what to try.

  Henrique Holschuh
-