Re: brightness control on thinkpad t61p

On Sun, 23 Dec 2007, Andrew Morton wrote:
> When I fire up the latest Linus tree on my thinkpad t61p I get:
>
> thinkpad_acpi: ThinkPad ACPI Extras v0.17
> thinkpad_acpi: http://ibm-acpi.sf.net/
> thinkpad_acpi: ThinkPad BIOS 7LET44WW (1.14 ), EC 7KHT22WW-1.06
> thinkpad_acpi: Lenovo ThinkPad T61p
> thinkpad_acpi: radio switch found; radios are enabled
> ACPI: Lid Switch [LID]
> input: Sleep Button (CM) as /class/input/input6
> ACPI: Sleep Button (CM) [SLPB]
> thinkpad_acpi: standard ACPI backlight interface available, not loading native one...
>
> and /sys/class/backlight/thinkpad_screen/brightness is no longer present, so
> my `brightness' script no longer works.  That, my friends, is a regression.

For thinkpad-acpi at least, it is not a regression. 2.6.23/0.16 did NOT
support your thinkpad (it will pretend to work, but it won't work 100% right
as it only supports 8 levels of backlight control).  2.6.24-rc4/0.17 added
support for it (16-level brightness), but also added the automatic detection
of ACPI generic video support.

You can ask thinkpad-acpi for the backlight interface using the
"brightness_enable=1" parameter, if you'd rather use it instead of the
generic ACPI video driver.  I don't know if you can ask video to not enable
backlight control, though.

> So I go hunting around and find
>
> 	/sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/
> and
> 	/sys/class/backlight/acpi_video1/
>
> Why are there two of them?

Two nodes in the ACPI tree (AGP and PCI), and the ACPI drivers don't
differentiate a deactivated node from a working node yet.  There are some
tentative patches flying around to fix it, AFAIK.

> Both of these have a `brightness' entry which has contents of 100.  When I set
> that to 10, the screen's brightness is not reduced.

One of them should work.  Maybe X.org is doing something?

  Henrique Holschuh
-