dell inspiron 4150 acpi suspend problems (apm is ok)

Hello,

I have a dell inspiron 4150 laptop.  Previously it suspended (to ram) and
resumed well, when I was using apm.  Recently I tried on my latest kernel
update to finally evolve and start using acpi.  Unfortunately when suspending
to ram with acpi (using "acpitool -s") the display comes back garbled and
cannot be corrected.

I have the most recent bios version A06 (I doubt any more will come out as the
laptop is 2 - 3 years old).  My distro is debian unstable (relatively recent)
and my kernel versions and power management info sections are listed below.  I
have the same symptoms whether I do this from an xterm within X11 (xorg) or
from the console.  After I resume, switching between consoles and X11 does not
help.  About the only way I can "exit" the situation is to press the power
button which triggers acpi to nicely shutdown the machine.

Some google searches showed others with similar problems, but they were all 2
- 4 years ago.  What could be the problem, and what could I try to correct it?

thanks for any help,
donfede

######################################

###########
#
# working apm configuration
#
# Linux kernel version: 2.6.22.5

# Power management options (ACPI, APM)
#
CONFIG_PM=y
CONFIG_PM_LEGACY=y
CONFIG_PM_DEBUG=y
# CONFIG_DISABLE_CONSOLE_SUSPEND is not set
# CONFIG_PM_TRACE is not set
# CONFIG_PM_SYSFS_DEPRECATED is not set
# CONFIG_SOFTWARE_SUSPEND is not set

#
# ACPI (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface) Support
#
# CONFIG_ACPI is not set
CONFIG_APM=y
# CONFIG_APM_IGNORE_USER_SUSPEND is not set
CONFIG_APM_DO_ENABLE=y
CONFIG_APM_CPU_IDLE=y
# CONFIG_APM_DISPLAY_BLANK is not set
# CONFIG_APM_ALLOW_INTS is not set
# CONFIG_APM_REAL_MODE_POWER_OFF is not set

###########
#
# unfortunately not working acpi configuration
#
# Linux kernel version: 2.6.23.9

# Power management options (ACPI, APM)
#