Re: Oops removing thinkpad_acpi and video on git:linux-acpi-2.6

On Thu, 18 Oct 2007, Luca Capello wrote:
> Since I experienced the oops after having changed the LCD brightness,
> I pressed several times the brightness up/down Fn keys, then removed
> only the thinkpad_acpi module and voila, I got the oops again.  So,
> the problem is a thinkpad_acpi one, confirmed by the fact that the
> same test with the video module only didn't generate the oops.
> However, if the video module is not present, thinkpad_acpi doesn't
> trigger the oops.

Hmm, I will see if I can reproduce it.  Do you get that problem if you use
2.6.23 + thinkpad-acpi 0.18-20071013 available at:
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=117042  ?

There is also a git tree, if you prefer:
http://repo.or.cz/w/linux-2.6/linux-acpi-2.6/ibm-acpi-2.6.git
for the gitweb interface, there is more data in that.  Look at the release/
branches.

> Should I perform my tests again with the new BIOS?  Or is this bug
> completely unrelated to the BIOS version?

The bug might even be triggered by the BIOS, but it is a real bug in the
driver.  But the new BIOS will probably behave much better re. brightness
functions.

  Henrique Holschuh
-