Re: Oops removing thinkpad_acpi and video on git:linux-acpi-2.6

Hi Henrique,

no need to Cc: me, I read the list ;-)

On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 03:21:06 +0200, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Oct 2007, Luca Capello wrote:
>> I just got the following oops when removing thinkpad_acpi and then
>> video.  Kernel is the linux-acpi-2.6 git branch up to
>
> If you never load thinkpad_acpi in the first place, just video, and
> then remove video, does the oops happen?

I tested with probably every kind of different combinations and it
seemed I could not reproduce the oops anymore.

I also tried a situation very similar (except the software running) to
the one when I experienced the oops:

1) booted the machine with thinkpad_acpi (no video)
2) `modprobe video` resulted in the following dmesg
=====
input: Video Bus as /class/input/input10
ACPI: Video Device [VID] (multi-head: yes  rom: no  post: no)
input: Video Bus as /class/input/input11
ACPI: Video Device [VID1] (multi-head: yes  rom: no  post: no)
thinkpad_acpi: unknown LID-related HKEY event: 0x5010
hald-addon-acpi[3654]: segfault at 0000000000000000 rip 00002b9373fd45eb rsp 00007fff371bacf0 error 4
=====
3) `modprobe -r thinkpad_acpi` succeeded
4) `modprobe -r video` succeeded as well, thus no oops

But read below :-)

>> Just before the oops, dmesg shows the following, with the first being
>> the event generated by brightness up/down with Fn keys and the second
>> the ThinkFinger [1] device:
>> =====
>> thinkpad_acpi: unknown LID-related HKEY event: 0x5010
>> input: Virtual ThinkFinger Keyboard as /class/input/input99
>> =====
>
> Yeah, that 5010 event seems to mean "something in NVRAM changed".
> thinkpad-acpi just punts it to userspace.  That event is gone in
> later BIOS revisions, I think.

Since I experienced the oops after having changed the LCD brightness,
I pressed several times the brightness up/down Fn keys, then removed
only the thinkpad_acpi module and voila, I got the oops again.  So,
the problem is a thinkpad_acpi one, confirmed by the fact that the
same test with the video module only didn't generate the oops.
However, if the video module is not present, thinkpad_acpi doesn't
trigger the oops.

BTW, I forgot to say that I use the experimental option of the
thinkpad_acpi module, but removing it doesn't change anything.

>> This is on a Lenovo ThinkPad X60 [2], ThinkPad BIOS 7BETD0WW (2.11)
[...]
> You have a BIOS with bugs.  Please consider updating.
[...]
> No. You should use the CD if you can.  Otherwise, you are risking
> your warranty, which is a very dumb thing to do.
>
> Anyway, refer to http://thinkwiki.org/wiki/BIOS_Upgrade for upgrade
> experiences on the X60 using various methods.

I usually upgrade the BIOS as soon as a new version is available and
through the CD (I've the X6 dock, too, and I'm aware of ThinkWiki).
But since the SD card reader on my X60 is broken (it generates an
interrupt at card insertion, but nothing more, neither on Windows XP),
I need to bring the laptop to an IBM center.  So I decided to wait for
the BIOS upgrade and to ask the IBM center about Free Software tools
to deal with ThinkPad BIOSes.

Should I perform my tests again with the new BIOS?  Or is this bug
completely unrelated to the BIOS version?

Thx, bye,
Gismo / Luca
-