inconsistency in /proc/acpi directory structure?

Hi,
I wrote some shared library to get ACPI values for user
space acpi tools and came to a problem.

I check if an ACPI feature exists by checking for its
directory, e.g. /proc/acpi/fan.

The problem with this is, that this gets created when the
specific module is loaded, so if you load the module but
your system does not support it properly you get an empty
directory.

But even checking for an empty directory is not enough since
there comes ibm-acpi (maybe others).

With working fan and usage of ibm-acpi you also get an empty
/proc/acpi/fan dir because you have /proc/acpi/ibm/fan where
you can then find the relevant files.
This sucks, I mean I can implement a workaround for this,
but if asus-acpi would do the same and maybe others would
exists I have to check alot of directories. So why not using
the existing directory structure?

I am not sure if this is a bug in ibm-acpi or an
inconsistency in the kernel since to me it is not obvious to
just create the directory in module modprobing, why not
doing it when dumping the first data to a file?

Why is ibm-acpi not using the existing directory structure
(also wrote to the ibm-acpi guys but with no answer so far,
so I try to get answers here)? Do I miss anything?

I hope this is the right list for my questions, please point
me to the right direction if not.
Kind regards
Nico
P.S Please Cc me, I am not subscribed.