adding new device and driver HOWTO?

We manufacture an x86 system with a device on an I/O port.  We
initially wrote our Linux driver to load in an init script and if it
probed OK then we knew the device was present.  We now want to be a
little safer and portable by enumerating and autoloading properly.

Problem is, everything I've read so far is geared towards installing
ACPI or using it, particularly only with well-known devices for power
management.

I can't seem to find an example DSDT definition for a generic device
or how I would tie that to its driver -- a new device developer's
HOWTO.

Any pointers would be welcome.

Thanks,

 -- Ken