Re: sonypc with Sony Vaio VGN-SZ1VP [repost]

  [orig. quietly didn't make it to the list for some reason]

Around about 05/01/07 17:19, Len Brown typed ...
running the AML interpreter in  interrupt context would be a no-no.
I thought we had deferred the notify handlers so that they wouldn't
run in interrupt context, but maybe there is a case here where
that does not happen.

  Yes, I tracked though the kernel acpi code as much as I could, and found
that I was making acpi calls that did kmalloc() with the 'wrong' arg. in a
context that didn't allow it (where /proc reads would).

  Unfortunately, the solutions I tried (diff. ways of deferral using notify
handlers) still failed, or at least stuffed it on boot (which is what my
current code-base does).  The last code I traced was the bit that looked up
the full ACPI ref. from a local ref., and that does a malloc, so I did the
lookup at module init and stored that full string to bypass the lookup
malloc later, but then it just goes wrong a bit later :-(

--
[neil@fnx ~]# rm -f .signature
[neil@fnx ~]# ls -l .signature

-