Re: sonypc with Sony Vaio VGN-SZ1VP

Around about 04/01/07 19:15, Mattia Dongili typed ...
I have the hw and I'd be happy to do some basic working on the code

OK, I'm going to jump in here with something I've been meaning to post for a while; now seems as good a time as any :)

I *think* I'm using the code you're all talking about on my Vaio: the sony_acpi (0.3?) module that works where the stick s=kernel sonypi doesn't.

I'm also (currently) using the fsfn daemon/osd-app, or at least modified versions of them (my laptop, like other poeple's, doesn't report back the current brightness, so the fsfn daemon remembers the value and uses that instead for higher/lower settings).

I've been tinkering with the module code, initially just to add this brightness-value memory to the module (so the /proc entries do actually work) via a module param, and this works a treat.

I've also added the ability to watch for key presses and inject fake key presses, so that the Fn buttons are seen by the kernel and X, etc., and can thus be bound by GNOME or KDE in the normal fashion, making it (for me) more immediately useful, esp. for the generic keys (S1/S2 on mine).

But last time I tried (couple of kernel releases ago) it crashes on start-up; I think it's something to do with kmallocs in the ACPI code tyhat I'm calling that aren't allowed in certain contexts, buit I have no control over what kmallocs are used in acpi.

If anyone's interested, I'll email them my latest copy. I got a bit stuck as the last attempt lost the actual error off the top of the screen before locking and I don't know how to get the console output, erm, output to anything other than the screen on my laptop.

--
[neil@fnx ~]# rm -f .signature
[neil@fnx ~]# ls -l .signature